The Women of Worth 2021 grant awards have been announced. The following five local nonprofit groups will each receive a $1,000 award for projects that benefit the women and/or children of Blackford County.
- IU Health Blackford will receive a grant to provide free mammogram screenings to women without financial resources who are in the at-risk age group, have never had breast cancer, and have not had mammogram in the past year.
- Blackford County Schools will be awarded a grant to help in providing scholarships to all K-6 students who wish to attend Camp Invention, the weeklong summer enrichment program that offers science, technology, engineering, and math hands-on activities.
- Northside Elementary School (K-2) will receive a grant for books on social and emotional growth topics to use specifically with Speech and Language students and equipment of identified students needing movement, light, or sound adaptations that allow them to concentrate more fully on lessons.
- Helping Hands will use its grant to provide parent handbooks to the parents participating in a 16-week parenting workshop called Parenting in Progress that specifically aims to teach alternatives to neglectful and abusive parenting practices.
- Blackford Junior Senior High School Agriculture Department will receive a grant to purchase a hydroponic tower, plants, and nutrient supplies for ag students to grow lettuce indoors and learn about this increasingly used method of providing commercial vegetables.
Women of Worth (W.O.W.) is a program of the Blackford County Community Foundation. Members combine their membership donations in order to fund the grants program each fall. Since its inception in 2009, 59 W.O.W. grants have been awarded totaling $42,842.